Moving up in your career: leadership and influencing
The world of work is changing - faster and more radically than ever before. And the cornerstone of successful change is effective leadership.
In this interactive, one-day workshop, delegates will explore the traits of outstanding leaders and learn how to develop their own, more effective, leadership style.
We will focus on:
- Core leadership skills of building high-performing teams
- Delivering a successful communications strategy
- Becoming more influential in your organisation
- Dealing with difficult situations
By the end of the day, delegates will have a set of useful tools they can implement immediately and will have greater clarity about how they can help themselves to continue to develop their leadership ability.
The workshop is led by Neil Benson, a leadership and business consultant with more than 25 years’ experience of leading organisational change. He is a Visiting Professor at the University of Huddersfield and chairs the Editors Code Committee, which sets the professional standards for UK journalists. He is supported by Simon Jones, the Chair of LGcomms who has worked at Director level in local government communications for 12 years. There will be contributions from other senior communications including David Holdstock, Director of Communications at the Local Government Association and Lindsay Coulson, former Director of Communications and Communities at Waltham Forest Council.
Purpose of the day
Provide an overview of skills / knowledge delegates will need in leadership rolesGive delegates an understanding of the key traits of effective leadershipEncourage delegates to develop their personal leadership brand and style
- why are we here?
- your new support network
- overview of agenda.
9.15-10.30am: What makes a good leader?
- key traits of good leaders
- leadership in times of change
- what kind of leader are you? (activity/small groups).
10.30-11.30am: Building effective teams
- performance management
- delegation and accountability
- dealing with difficult situations
11.50am-12.50pm: Communications essentials
- importance of communications strategy
- what does your Leader want from you?
- organisational influence.
Lunch break (lunch is not provided)
1.30-2pm: The Influencer's Toolkit
- removing 'roadblocks'
- steering the discussion
- persuading the doubters
- influencing upwards.
2-3pm: Leadership: My Way
- Insight, knowledge and tips from some of the country’s most experienced local government communications leaders
- Q&A session
3.30-4.30pm: Why should they follow me?
- building trust
- assertiveness vs aggression
- developing your personal brand - activity.
4.30-5pm: Coaching and development
- tailor your approach
- active listening
- chatting with purpose.
5-5.30pm: Reflection and close
- key learnings
- most / least useful
- a postcard to myself.
Friday June 14, Westminster City Hall, 64 Victoria Street, SW1E 6QP
Floor 18, Meeting rooms 1,2, 3
Cost: £90 (+ VAT) for LGcomms members,
£235 (+ VAT) for non LG-comms members